[Duplicity-talk] Python 3 port: call for testing

From: Michael Terry
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Python 3 port: call for testing
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2013 20:01:48 -0500

Hello!  I've been working recently on a patch to allow duplicity to run under Python 3 (while still maintaining support for Python 2.4 and up).

It's gotten to the point where I'd really appreciate some wider testing.  I'm less worried about testing the Python 3 version so much as making sure that I didn't break anything when still running under Python 2.

The most invasive change I made was around string encoding, so if you have weird filenames or use a non-English locale, I'd really appreciate you stress testing this

On Ubuntu 12.04 or 12.10:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:mterry/ppa && sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install duplicity # to test Python 2 version
sudo apt-get install duplicity3 # to test Python 3 version

If you aren't on Ubuntu (or just want to look at the code), try this branch:
bzr branch lp:~mterry/duplicity/python3

I would love to hear feedback either positive or negative.

Some notes:
 * Even if/when this lands in trunk, for a while it will remain an unsupported, experimental feature.
 * The 'duplicity3' package name is just for testing.  If/when this lands in Ubuntu, it will keep the same name, but just use a different Python.
 * When running under Python 3, some backends may not work.  I haven't ported all of them yet.
 * If you've been experiencing UnicodeDecode errors due to encoding issues with the stable version, hopefully this branch will sort that all out.

-mt