Re: [Duplicity-talk] Ubuntu One backend

From: Paul Barker
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Ubuntu One backend
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2012 20:47:05 +0100

On 08/08/2012 20:32, Michael Terry wrote:
On 8 August 2012 15:12, Paul Barker <address@hidden> wrote:
:snip:
To my knowledge, the Ubuntu One web API
doesn't include a method to log out and therefore logging in with a username
and password every time duplicity is ran will produce a lot of open sessions
which are stored on the Ubuntu One servers (listed under 'Devices' at
https://one.ubuntu.com/account/ if you are logged in). I think it is best to
log in once, store the oauth keys and use these on future invocations of
duplicity but I can't see how to fit that usage model into the existing
duplicity usage model.
Hrm.  The current backend solves this by assuming it can talk to the
U1 user daemon.  Which in turn gets it from the user's keyring.  You
need to be in the user session to get access to either.

I don't know how to solve that without being in the user session.
-mt

If the U1 backend had no further dependencies on the U1 user daemon once it's got the oauth keys, it should be possible to provide an option to get keys either from environment variables or from a logged in gui session. That might work for both our use cases. Maybe default to the existing behavior so that existing users aren't confused but add an option to get keys from environment variables or some other method? I still think the bulk of the U1 backend would still need to be replaced so that it doesn't depend on the ubuntuone.couch module once it has the correct oauth keys.

Thanks,

Paul Barker