Re: [Duplicity-talk] More to "unable to connect" using duplicity 0.6.18.

From: Reto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] More to "unable to connect" using duplicity 0.6.18...
Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 22:59:16 +0300

Hi,

On 05/23/2012 03:40 PM, address@hidden wrote:
On 23.05.2012 14:25, g d0b3rm4n wrote:
Can that be fixed or is it fixed in yesterdays release 0.6.19 with this:
- add missing_host_key prompt to new sshbackend similar to ssh procedure

first, why do you set HOME to file system root '/'? how do you expect programs
like gpg and ssh to find their settings?

I can't remember the reason why I set HOME=/, I of course changed it so it works again.

ssh worked without problems, and gpg created a folder /.gnupg. So it worked fine, with HOME=/ set and the old ssh backend.

does example.com exist or is it defined in .ssh/config? if so you will
definitely be helped with 0.6.19 . if not, try anyway because some more issues
with the new ssh backend were solved in there.

yes example.com exists, for my examples works/fails in my first mail, I used command line history to avoid typos. So both command were the same, except the "HOME=/"-part.

I don't have a ~/.ssh/config file.

sure as soon as EPEL provides 0.6.19, I will install it.

Don't get me wrong I'm OK, the way it works. I just wanted to point out that the given error:

BackendException: ssh connection to example.com:22 failed: Unknown
server example.com

Is misleading, people think it's a network/dns problem. It does not give a clear hint that the server is not known to the ssh system. E.g. it's missing in known_hosts file. Now when I think about it, if it would be a resolver problem then it would probably write "Unknown host". But who notices such a detail in first place :-)

regards
Reto