Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problems with restore of LARGE backup from S3

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Problems with restore of LARGE backup from S3
Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2012 16:32:10 +0200

On 23.04.2012 16:26, Roy Badami wrote:
> I'm trying to perform a test restore of the S3 backups I've been doing of a
> LARGE fileserver (approx 700GB , approx 100,000 files) which comes to 236
> volumes (with volsize set to 2000) in a full backup.  Duplicity version is
> duplicity-0.6.17-1.el6.x86_64
>
> I've made two attempts to perform a full test restore to another machine, and
> in both cases it eventually gives up.  It got to volume 127 and then keeps
> failing with
> Download s3+http://...//duplicity-full.20120304T000513Z.vol127.difftar.gpg
> failed (attempt #9993, reason: IncompleteRead: IncompleteRead(0 bytes read,
> 1622573204 more expected))
>
> Then eventually, when it hit the retry limit of 9999, it printed the
> following, and now is hung doing nothing
>
> BackendException: Error downloading
> s3+http://...//duplicity-full.20120304T000513Z.vol127.difftar.gpg
>
> A couple of other things I notice.  The duplicity process has grown to almost
> 4GB - is this expected? (however, the machine has lots of RAM and swap, so
> this in itself shouldn't be a problem)
>
> root     31336  9.1  1.8 3801340 613756 pts/2  Sl+  Apr18 673:44
> /usr/bin/python /usr/bin/duplicity --s3-use-new-style --num-retries 9999
> --tempdir /opt/restore-tmp --archive-dir /opt/restore-archive restore
> s3+http://.../ /opt/restore-test
>
> Also, there are lots of gpg processes running (presumably left behind)?
> However no where near one per volume (there are 38 gpg processes, and we've
> processed 126 volumes before we hit the problem)
>
> Any thoughts?  Anyone else successfully using duplicity on filesystems this
> large?

on the first look it is a downloading issue. could you try to download your
backup chain to a local drive and restore from there?

second idea is that we had a memory leak between 0.6.13-17 . so please try
0.6.18 and see if that helps. install from tarball as described here under TIP
http://duply.net/?title=Duply-documentation
if your distro does not have the latest.

..ede/duply.net