Re: [Duplicity-talk] Download attempts

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Download attempts
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2012 09:46:54 +0200

On 19.04.2012 05:05, Simon KP wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have been using duplicity within a script to loop over a list of system
> directories and back them up to Amazon S3.
>
> Recently I was alerted by my hosting provider about going over my inbound
> allocation for this server. And it's being going on for a few months now -
> making me a few hundred dollars in debt.
>
> Upon closer inspection, I've found "Warning, found incomplete backup sets,
> probably left from aborted session" warning from the duplicity run that I
> receive an email with, however the run completes successfully. When I ran
> the script manually with iftop running, I found out that duplicity hangs on
> the above warning with iftop showing constant traffic coming from Amazon.
> When I tried to ^C out of it, I saw "Download s3+http://.......sigtar.gpg
> failed (attempt #1)". So the directory that duplicity hangs on and starts
> downloading is 4GB in size. At the moment it looks like duplicity
> attempting to download this file (possibly multiple times) pushed me over
> my allocation. Can somebody tell me why it's trying to download
> - effectively doing a restore instead of a backup? Is this intended
> functionality? If the source directory was 10s of GB in size, surely we
> wouldn't want to download that.

raise duplicity's verbosity until you see which files are being transferred.
'-v info' should do it i think.

downloading sig's is necessary if they are not in local cache (archive-dir) to
do incrementals.

before anything, update to the latest release in case you are using an older
version. install from tarball if your sĀ“distro has only older versions.

..ede/duply.net