[Duplicity-talk] Logging md5sums of .gpg files?

From: Will McCown
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Logging md5sums of .gpg files?
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 12:47:29 -0800

Greetings:

I've just started using duplicity to backup to Amazon S3.

In doing a test restore I ran into a situation where the restored
.difftar.gpg files sometimes contained ~2-3 single bit errors.  This
problem doesn't seem to be related to duplicity as I was able to
duplicate it retrieving files with s3cmd.  (And now, either fortunately
or unfortunately, the problem seem to have gone away with just a
reboot).

But the episode makes me worry about the integrity of the backup files.
I know I can do a "verify", but that requires downloading the backup
files from s3 with the attendant bandwidth usage and costs.  Amazon provides
md5sums for all objects in s3, so what would be really handy is if
duplicity could compute the md5sum for each .gpg file in the backup set
as they are uploaded, and log those values somewhere.  That would allow
direct comparison with the md5sums provided by Amazon.

Are there any hooks in the code for this sort of thing?

--
Will McCown, Rolling Hills Estates, CA
address@hidden