Re: [Duplicity-talk] How to contribute a new backend

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] How to contribute a new backend
Date: Wed, 29 Feb 2012 16:56:34 +0100

On 24.02.2012 19:39, Ken Bass wrote:
> Can someone provide me a few details on how I would contribute a new backend.
>
> I've been using it for a few months now (however I have experienced some odd
> issues which I think is duplicity related and not specifically related to the
> backend).
>
> 1) Is there any  interest? The service is at www.idrive.com and called
> IDrive. There is a 5GB free version which can be used to test things out. I
> am now using the 150GB @ $49.50/year version.
> The reason I used this service over others is that they provide a documented
> API unlike many other services.

as i see on http://evs.idrive.com it is a http text message based api
completely different from WEBDAV so a separate backend makes sense.

> 2) I have no affiliation, though there is a referral program I was thinking
> about doing. If I provided whatever unique link that gives me referral credit
> in the documentation would that be okay? Of course anyone would be free to
> signup
> however they wish.

i am not sure that it is welcome in the main documentation, namely the manpage.
but i think a friendly one line Log.info output wouldn't hurt.
@ken: what do you think? btw. there is still the rapidshare backend in the
queue, no interest on your part?

> 3) I know you use bazaar but am not sure the proper workflow. Do I register
> my own branch via the launchpad site and use that?

you register with launchpad, install bzr on your machine, download dev branch,
do your changes, commit local and push to a launchpad branch. then you can ask
for your branch to be merged.

> 4) Are there many people on this list that would test new features like this?

probably not, judging by the response so far ;)

..ede/duply.net