Re: [Duplicity-talk] error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe / error: [Errno 104]

From: Azfar Hashmi
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] error: [Errno 32] Broken pipe / error: [Errno 104] Connection reset by peer
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 21:13:05 +0500

Well I am uploading from ElasticHosts network so there shouldn't be any
speed issue. I will try to find out if my system's internet connection
stable and working without any minor glitches. I use 5mb vol size for
testing as I was also unable to upload default 25mb parts.

On 2/23/2012 8:39 PM, Ed Blackman wrote:
> On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 02:36:06PM +0100, address@hidden wrote:
>> On 23.02.2012 13:28, Azfar Hashmi wrote:
>>> Any solution or reason of it. I am getting this error on couple of
backups.

>> it's what it says.. so either the connection is not very reliable or
some other reason that the repository service closed the connection.
usually duplicity recovers from that by retrying the transaction by
default 5 times (see manpage --num-retries).

> The original message in the thread showed that the OP is using
--volsize 5, meaning he's having trouble reliably uploading 5MB volumes.
Looking through his message headers, it appears his internet access (at
least for the post to the groups) starts at wtl.worldcall.net.pk. .pk is
Pakistan.

> I don't think "direct to S3" backups are appropriate for a connection
that unreliable. I have a much more reliable connection, but the uplink
is slow, so I use duplicity to back up to a local disk. I then have a
separate cron job to sync the local backup to S3. That way the backup
completes quickly, and the sync to S3 can poke along (or for the OP,
retry many times) without holding anything up or failing the backup.

> The only downside is that you need to have enough local disk space to
hold the backups, at least until they're uploaded.