Re: [Duplicity-talk] --rsync-options accepted values

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] --rsync-options accepted values
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 2011 14:24:48 +0100

On 11.12.2011 14:04, Raphaël wrote:
Hi,

reading the man page, I saw the following:
--rsync-options:
        Allows you to pass options to the rsync backend.

That's very interesting as there is something I want duplicity to do for
a long time: handling per-directory file filters, the way rsync does (-F)
So, I tried and gave duplicity a --rsync-options="-F" but it does not
appear to work. I then tried -i to see how verbose it would become, but
still nothing.

So my question is: which rsync options are valid --rsync-options values
? (or more precisely in which rsync context are the specified options useful)

you need to realize that this option is only given to the filetransfer backend.
it _only_ transfers the duplicity backup volumes/sigs/manifests from/to the
backend. so this options is of no use for your use case.

Using an rsync.net account, I tried both ssh/sftp, but of course the
rsync backend itself, in the later case I can see the following output:
Reading results: rsync -e 'ssh -oBatchMode=yes' -F<id>@rsync:homeconf/
but that's not really where the -F is useful :)

yes, as described above.

I noticed that with -v9, the output "Comparing () and () ..." seems to
imply that the "rsync backend" is not used for the directory comparison
step. But why `rsync' itself couldn't be used to fetch the file listing
used for comparison ? with the --dry-run option rsync -avin dir/ / would
be excellent at managing file (inc|exc)lusions isn't ?

rsync is used via librsync and saved rolling block values for already
encrypt-backuped files are compared to current file's values. you see, because
of the ecrypted nature the comparision is more complex.

or am I naive ?

can't judge that so far ;)

ede/duply.net