Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity - restore files

From: SanskritFritz
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity - restore files
Date: Sat, 10 Dec 2011 10:03:39 +0100

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 7:17 PM, eleanor <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I want to implement some kind of a script/program that would display a
> tree of all my backed-up files. And when I would choose certain
> folder/file I could restore it to the previous versions - I guess
> there would have to be a list of all backuped-up times next to the
> file.
>
> So if I have a file aaa.txt, which contains text "a", and that file is
> added to the remote server, and then another 'a' is added, so the text
> is "aa", some more text is added "aaa", and so on. Upon selecting the
> file aaa.txt I would then want to display the three dates when the
> file was modified:
> - aaa.txt 1.12.2011: 12.00 (the file contained "a")
> - aaa.txt 2.12.2011: 12.00 (the file contained "aa")
> - aaa.txt 3.12.2011: 12.00 (the file contained "aaa")
>
> After that I would select the file intance (whatever I wanted) and I
> could download that version.
>
> How much of this can be done by duplicity itself?
> 1) Can I list all of the version of file, including the dates of file
> change? If this is not an option, do I have to use my own database,
> which would store all the changes to all the files? If that is so, how
> can I display all the files that have been changed in the most recent
> sync. I guess some instance of the --verbose command or something.
> 2) Can I download a specific version of a file? (yes, I know I can
> with a -t option: So this only requires to calculate the right time in
> past to use with the -t option)

You may look into this program, which implements a fuse filesystem on
top of rdiff-backup archives:
http://code.google.com/p/rdiff-backup-fs/
Since rdiff-backup was written by the same people who wrote duplicity,
I expect lots of similarities, that could be an advantage.
If you could make a similar program for duplicity (like duplicity-fs
:-), it would be awesome!