Re: [Duplicity-talk] Mirroring vs. Sets

From: Eliot Moss
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Mirroring vs. Sets
Date: Mon, 05 Dec 2011 20:43:25 -0500

This may not be what you want, but here's what I do:

- Create duplicity backups to a local storage area

- Rsync them (all files) to a remote site

- Delete the local copy of the *.vol* files, retaining
  the manifests and signatures locally

I create a full backup once in a while, but for my email
(for example) may run an incremental multiple times a
day.  This has about the same transfer volume as rsyncing
my email (except the signature files are sometimes
larger), since an incremental is built using rsync
differencing algorithm (in rdiff).

The reason I went this way is that doing a full backup
was difficult in that I could not get the many Gbytes
to transfer without losing a net connection, and then
it took quite a while for the backup to restart -- though
in principle it would eventually finish.  This way I have
decoupled creating encrypted backups from the mirroring
of the files to a remote site.

Best wishes -- Eliot Moss