Re: [Duplicity-talk] apparent memory leak on OS X

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] apparent memory leak on OS X
Date: Sun, 04 Dec 2011 23:44:50 +0100

On 02.12.2011 19:48, address@hidden wrote:
I am using Duplicity 0.6.16, installed using Macports on Mac OS 10.6.8.
The Python process is using upwards of 3GB of RAM.

I am not doing anything exotic, only testing the app by backing up about
370GB to an external drive. My command arguments are:

/opt/local/bin/duplicity -v 8 --exclude /private/var/vm/ --exclude
/private/tmp  --exclude /.Spotlight-V100 \
        --exclude /.fseventsd --exclude-other-filesystems /
        file:///Volumes/external/backup/

The command does eventually succeed but it slows everything to a crawl
for hours while it runs (even an incremental).

on some platforms/python combinations the threading does not properly close gpg
processes sometimes. check your process list. are there lots of duplicity
subprocesses kept alive?

I found this FAQ for rdiff-backup:
http://rdiff-backup.nongnu.org/FAQ.html#leak

SNIP

you seem to use a more recent librsync than mentioned in the faq above so this
should be fine.

ede/duply.net