[Duplicity-talk] Feedback highly welcome: Rapidshare-backend for Duplici

From: Willem Jansen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Feedback highly welcome: Rapidshare-backend for Duplicity
Date: Tue, 01 Nov 2011 14:54:02 +0100

Dear Duplicitors,

I would like add to this project by providing a backend for Rapidshare.

I chose Rapidshare for several reasons:
- High up-&downloadspeed (esp. for premium users)
- Unlimited backupspace
- Fixed & affordable rate (down to 5€/month for long(er) term plans)

I assume filesonic, megaupload et al. offer similar deals&APIs, hence there is room for further backends here.

How to use:
===========
- Install duply or translate the following configuration to your duplicity-script of choice - Obtain Rapidshare account (free account is enough for developing & try-out purposes)
- change TARGET in conf-file to:
  TARGET='rs://www.rapidshare.com/<desired target directory>'
  EXAMPE: TARGET='rs://www.rapidshare.com/backup/test123/here'
  "rs://" is required to activate rapidshare backend
- Enter Rapidshare username & password in config file ('TARGET_USER' and 'TARGET_PASS')
- copy rapidsharebackend.py in your backend-directory
- if you are using a premium account (which should be standard in productive use, open rapidsharebackend.py and change line 56 to
  self.account_status="premium"
- try it out, should work fine.

Open questions & Issues:
-
- Free vs. premium account: So far you have to switch the program to premium by hand. Who knows how to implement a variable for that on the config file? (in my case for duply) - As the free account is only making sense for development purposes, should it be deactivated generally? Rapidshare will delete parts of your backup almost for sure which could reflect badly on duplicity - In line 64 I used an "unsexy" workaround to obtain the username correcty. It seems that the automatic setting did not work in my case. Any ideas why?

If you find the time, kindly get back to me with feedback & improvement ideas.

  Kind regards,
     Willem Jansen