Re: [Duplicity-talk] merge full and incremental on backup side

From: Lluís Batlle i Rossell
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] merge full and incremental on backup side
Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2011 15:06:21 +0200

On Wed, Apr 20, 2011 at 01:45:45PM +0200, Erno Kovacs wrote:
> Hey,
>
> is it possible to merge a full backup with incremental backups on
> backup side?
> I would like to do 1 full backup _once_ and then daily incremental
> backups AND after 7 days I would like to merge the oldest incremental
> to the full backup. This way I would have backup for 7 days without
> the need to do full backup ever again.

I think duplicity supposes that the 'backup side' has no chance of executing
anything, and so the client only uses put/get operations to the backup end.

Maybe you should could use a full backup, then incremental backups, and never do
a full backup anymore. Depending on how your amount of data increases, it may be
an acceptable solution.

In any case, we are facing a situation like yours, and if someone has a better
solution than what I've said, I'd like to hear about it.

Regards,
Lluís.