Re: [Duplicity-talk] Hostname changes....

From: Scott Hannahs
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Hostname changes....
Date: Sun, 2 Jan 2011 13:32:49 -0500

I can force it with --allow-source-mismatch but that does disable a feature
that prevents a problem as Edgar points out.  I did that just to make my
backups continue.  I would rather that the check be there, and if I can find
the source of the mismatch it would make things more idiot proof.

AFAICT duplicity uses socket.getfqdn() to find the hostname.  This returns the
lower case hostname and all should be well.  But for some reason my backups
have the capitalized hostname stored in them.  They have all had a new full
backup since installing 0.6.11 so I am not sure why it claims that the backup
has the capitalized version.

-Scott

On Jan 2, 2011, at 9:42 AM, address@hidden wrote:

> Rather try to find out how duplicity is determing the hostname and fix the
> root cause, enabling --allow-source-mismatch won't warn you anymore in case
> you really picked the wrong backup source.
>
> ede/duply.net
>
> On 02.01.2011 13:03, Chris Poole wrote:
>> Try just using --allow-source-mismatch
>>
>> Chris
>>
>> On 1 Jan 2011, at 21:41, Scott Hannahs <address@hidden> wrote:
>>
>>> I am getting an error every so often that tells me that my hostname has
>>> changed.  There seems to be a capitalization issue.
>>>

>>> Fatal Error: Backup source host has changed.
>>> Current hostname: diospyros.local
>>> Previous hostname: Diospyros.local
>>>
>>> Now this seems to happen after I have connected and disconnected through
>>> VPN and the hostname has been reset?
>>>
>>> How is the hostname determined?  There are about 4 ways to get a "computer
>>> name" or "host name" on Mac OS X.  They are all giving me the capitalized
>>> name.  But duplicity is reporting that the current hostname is not
>>> capitalized.  It seems to be using either the "hostname" or "uname"