[Duplicity-talk] File ownerships restored wrong

From: Yves Goergen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] File ownerships restored wrong
Date: Fri, 17 Sep 2010 11:35:34 +0200

Hi,

I have made a full system backup of an Ubuntu 10.4 server with duplicity
0.6.8b (part of ubuntu). Then I erased my disks, repartitioned them and
restored the data on the Debian rescue system with a freshly installed
duplicity 0.6.9.

After the system bootet again, the Exim service could not be started
because /var/log/exim4 was now owned by Debian-exim (id 111) but instead by
the "libuuid" user (id 100). I also see /var/log/ntpstats owned by
postfix:fuse which I don't think is correct but I'm not sure about that.
Other files owned by users with the ids 117 and 2001 were restored
correctly.

Is there a problem with file owner ids? I thought the ids are just stored
as numbers and the name resolution works by looking them up in /etc/passwd
on the local system. Since this file is also restored from the backup, the
names should not change at all.