[Duplicity-talk] Check the remote backup to make sure it's correct?

From: Chris Poole
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Check the remote backup to make sure it's correct?
Date: Fri, 26 Feb 2010 14:34:45 +0000

Hi guys,
Obviously, an important thing to do with a backup is to check that it's been performed correctly.

Assuming that I can assume good data integrity (since I sign my backups with my GPG key);

Is the best way to check that the data has been faithfully backed up and will restore correctly to use the verify command?

I thought about sha1'ing all my local files, then restoring the latest backup to some other local drive and sha1'ing these, and comparing, but this seems like something that duplicity should do by default, which is I guess what the verify command does.

Am I right in thinking that the verify command is the best way to achieve this?

Thanks.