Re: [Duplicity-talk] the big 'picture' --or-- how to keep just one revi

From: Jacob Godserv
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] the big 'picture' --or-- how to keep just one revision.
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 12:24:27 -0500

On Tue, Jan 26, 2010 at 11:10, Richard <address@hidden> wrote:
> In my situation, I am not looking to keep historical revisions of data.  I
> only need the current data backed up.
> My understanding is that once an initial backup is made all future backups
> are incrementals.   If after 14 days you need to restore a file that changes
> each day, then the initial backup plus all 13 incremental backups will be
> needed to restore the file.   This would mean that an occasional full-backup
> would be needed if things are to remain manageable.   I'm trying to keep
> from having to continuously backup 50gig across the net when only 50 meg of
> data changes each day.

Duplicity will not do what you want initially. Any incremental backups
must be based on the last backup made, and must be separate from the
last backup. Additionally, random access, which is what would be
required here as far as I know, for a single file is not available on
many of the protocols duplicity supports.

Your best bet is probably to come up with a home-brew solution based
on rsync and gpg.

--
    Jacob

    "For then there will be great distress, unequaled
    from the beginning of the world until now — and never
    to be equaled again. If those days had not been cut
    short, no one would survive, but for the sake of the
    elect those days will be shortened."

    Are you ready?