Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Integrity check
Date: Thu, 17 Sep 2009 22:33:47 +0200

Been following this and my point is simple, duplicity never assumes that
it can run anything on the remote machine.  If you have that ability,
then running a gpg --verify on the signed files is easy enough,

if you haven't, e.g. dumb backup space, cheap cloud space, then you currently have no option in duplicity. No option because integrity checking is not verifying.

otherwise, a full download is needed to do essentially thugh. e same thing.

so does verifying, and it is still a useful command. And again, usually download is much faster than upload for the average duplicity user (just my impression from the list).

There is a hash in the manifest for the volume files.  It's a simple
check that duplicity does to verify that the volume is not corrupt,
SHA1, or MD5, is all we use at the moment.

fair enough. Seems everything is already there and in the software. All we need is to attach a command to it ;) ... I just see the usefulness, if nobody else does, fine with me .. right now verify after every backup works satisfying for me. No reason to have a look at it some time though, we'll see.

... ede