Re: [Duplicity-talk] Resumption and fulls with large backups.

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Resumption and fulls with large backups.
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:13:48 -0500

Robin Lee Powell wrote:
> I see from
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/duplicity-talk/2008-12/msg00057.html
> that 6 months or so ago Duplicity did not have the ability to resume
> failed backups.  Is that still the case?

That's a rather old message, last year in fact.  As of the 0.6.xx
series, duplicity can now resume a failed backup.

> A related question, in as much as it matters a lot for very large
> backups: do full backups re-use files from previous fulls?  That is:
> does every full backup imply/require copying all the data from
> scratch again?

A full backup, by definition, backs up all the files, so yes, a full
backup copies all the files.  Best practices say that you should do a
full backup at least once a month and incrementals every working day
after that.  I prefer a full backup weekly, with weekday incrementals.

Let me explain myself, I have never backed up a full disk in my life,
and that's 40+ years in this field.  To me, a FULL backup is a complete
backup of the DATA on the disk, nothing more.  To backup something that
is on an install CD is a waste of time, especially in todays environment
of high bandwidth networks.  I've never lost data and quite often a
failed disk was a blessing because I could take the time to upgrade.

...Thanks,
...Ken