[Duplicity-talk] Backuping up a whole filesystem?

From: David Stanaway
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Backuping up a whole filesystem?
Date: Sat, 08 Aug 2009 15:15:15 -0500

Has anyone had success using this to backup a whole filesystem?

The Example lvm script got me thinking - stream and ext3dump through and delta diff it with the last ext3dump.

There is potentially a lot of internal duplication within a filesystem aside from within a file.

EG: I have a logfile which gets rotated to logfile.1 - that is the same as logile in the previous backup, I don't need to send it again. EG: I have some family pics that got emailed to me in my Family Maildir, I fwd the email to someone else. The mimeenc attachment data is the same. I haven't tested this, but I would think you had a solid archive file (tar or fs dump) thhat this kind of duplications of data would drop out.