Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity bug report: duplicity crashes if the GPG

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity bug report: duplicity crashes if the GPG key is not trusted
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 13:51:54 -0500

Maurizio Vitale wrote:
> I don't seem to be getting the registration confirmation from Savannah,
> hence cannot properly report bugs.
> Hope mailing here works as a temporary substitute.
>
> I'm trying to simulate what happens when the backed up machine fails and
> you need to start the backup process from
> another machine. Normally you would import the (carefully saved) GPG
> secret key and use it to restore from your backup.
>
> After that you're on a new machine and you can start backing up again.
> You can generate a new GPG key or you may want
> to keep using the old one. If you chose to use the old one you have to
> remember to do gpg --edit-key <KEY ID> and
> trust the key.
>
> Failure to do so result in duplicity crashing with a stack trace. The
> log explains what happens, but it would be nice if
> duplicity exited with a nice error message instead.

I've been running with my own keys for ages and have never marked them
as trusted one way or another.  I wonder if this is something in a newer
version of gpg that we need to be aware of?

Would you mind showing a stack trace with that occurring.  I can't
recreate it here, Ubuntu 8.04, 32-bit.  What distro, etc.?

...Thanks,
...Ken