Re: [Duplicity-talk] Is it safe to modify a file when duplicity is backu

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Is it safe to modify a file when duplicity is backuping it?
Date: Sat, 07 Mar 2009 06:02:28 -0600

Juro Jon wrote:
> Sorry if this is doubled posted.
>
> I am running duplicity as a cron job I may be modifying a source file
> during a backup, it is safe to do so?

If you are physically writing to the file at the same time duplicity is
reading it, then you may get a mixed version on the backup.  If not,
then all should be OK.

If this is a database, it would be best to quiesce it prior to the
backup, or to use a database backup tool to back it up, exclude the
original database and back up the copy.

It's all about timing.  If the file is critical, you need to make sure
it stays in a cohesive state while duplicity backs it up.  If not, then
the next incremental will detect the changes.

...Ken