Re: [Duplicity-talk] Does duplicity resume?

From: edgar . soldin
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Does duplicity resume?
Date: Thu, 11 Dec 2008 11:32:29 +0100

In case resumability gets implemented someday:

Given the fact that a resumed backup can be seen as a string of incrementals. The first full request was interrupted now only missing (or inbetween changed) parts will be transferred. Viewing at the problem from this angel there seems to be a kind of easy route in implementation. At specific control points a temporary manifest (it holds the file meta data list right?) has to be uploaded. It indicates that a backup was underway and which data is already uploaded. The next backup routine finds it and can resume from the last manifest up to a final manifest.

Hope this makes sense... just wanted to write it down before I forget it .. regards ede
--

Hello

Kenneth Loafman wrote:
Duplicity does not have a resume capability.  The suggested route is to
subdivide the backup into manageable chunks, said chunks being whatever
size you are willing to redo.  My general approach is to make each
backup less than about 4 hours.

FWIW, my monthly full backup takes about 10 hours (for 185GB of data)
and I did not have any major problem so far (*knocking wood*), only
difference is that I use FTP and not SCP...

a+
Nicolas