[Duplicity-talk] symlinks

From: Charlie
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] symlinks
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2008 10:32:38 -0600

Hi, I'm running into the symlink issue described here:

https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?8789

I'm confused as to why that was closed, and whether there's a work-around given that the index of the duplicity page has:

"Currently duplicity supports . . . symbolic links, . . . but not hard links."

My scenario is that I'm attempting to backup my usb drive with cygwin where the drive mapping of the usb could (and does) change on me...

In other words, I plug in my usb at home, and the usb is mapped to /cygdrive/f I plug it in at work and it's mapped to /cygdrive/h

I had hoped that I could just pass a drive letter parameter into my script, have a symlink (say /backup/usb) remapped to the proper drive, and be on my way. What's actually happening is that the symlink file is being backed up, but not the directories it's pointing to. Any suggestions? Is there a trick to getting symlinks to work as advertised, or is the home page out of date/incorrect?

TIA,  Charlie