[Duplicity-talk] Feature request/discussion: Store identical files only

From: Daniel Hahler
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Feature request/discussion: Store identical files only once
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2008 22:40:02 +0200

Hi,

I'm using duplicity for my OpenVZ based server now. Among the OpenVZ
containers (which are basically whole subsystems, minus kernel) a lot
of files are different and this would benefit from a feature, which
I've read about in the BackupPC info:
"A clever pooling scheme minimizes disk storage and disk I/O.
Identical files across multiple backups of the same or different PCs
are stored only once resulting in substantial savings in disk storage
and disk I/O. "

So, I wonder if this could be added to duplicity, too?

Basically, whenever a new file would get added to the backup set, it
would get compared against the existing files (name, size, date(?))
and if it exists already, only some kind of link would get added to
the backup set.

Would this be possible?

--
http://daniel.hahler.de/