Re: [Duplicity-talk] retries / time-out

From: Dan Muresan
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] retries / time-out
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 17:57:03 +0300

> I noticed this too with my craptastic DSL; rsync, ssh, ftp all timed out
> eventually, with no way to resume.

Hm... Cadaver seems to handle retries nicely.

A robust policy is:

* per-file timeouts and retry limits

* disconnect and re-connect upon failure

> I gave up and back up to a local directory, then use rsync.  It's not
> optimal,

Yeah, I used to do that too, but I need more now. But if you back up
locally, why would you even use duplicity? If encryption is irrelevant,
you could use rdiff-backup or rsnapshot or any of those.

> restore quickly.  :-)  Does anyone know of a duplicity front-end for pulling
> a file/directory out as it was at a particular point in time?

Apart from the (understandable) desire for a GUI: duplicity has the
command line args to do this, right? E.g. restore -t 3D for three days
ago. Or is there any issue with that?

-- Dan