[Duplicity-talk] Fix/workaround for "Caught a socket error" S3 problem o

From: Eyvind Bernhardsen
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Fix/workaround for "Caught a socket error" S3 problem on Mac OS
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 00:16:46 +0100

Hi,

After installing Python 2.5.1 to run a recent version of Duplicity on my Mac, I got lots of "Caught a socket error, trying to recover"--and no backup--when I tried to back my system up to Amazon S3. I found some other reports of this on the list, and when I googled around for a solution, it looked a lot like a known issue with the boto library. Unfortunately, that issue was still unresolved, so I decided to do a little digging.

I'm not sure what the root cause of the problem is yet, but applying the attached patch to httplib.py fixes duplicity for me. You can find httplib.py in your Python library directory, usually somewhere like / usr/local/lib/python2.5 or /Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/ Versions/2.5/lib/python2.5/httplib.py.

Please see the boto bug page for a brief explanation:

        http://code.google.com/p/boto/issues/detail?id=89

Note that this patch is just a workaround for a bug which I've only seen with Pythons I've built myself. Leopard's Python 2.5 works fine for me, and Tiger's 2.3 did too (until Duplicity started requiring 2.4). The patch should be harmless, in any case.

Eyvind Bernhardsen