Re: [Duplicity-talk] restoring into sparsebundle fails with "No space le

From: 4qgo8vv02
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] restoring into sparsebundle fails with "No space left on device"
Date: Thu, 3 Jan 2008 18:40:08 -0800

On Jan 3, 2008 12:42 PM, Darik Horn wrote:
>  > Is it possible that duplicity is creating 100GB of temporary
>  > files during the restore?
>
> Yes, I've seen this behavior on Linux systems too.  It is not an
> incompatibility with sparse bundles.

Thanks!  I'm glad to know this.

> Duplicity removes its temporary files but the file handles are not
> actually closed until the Python process exits, which means that you
> need twice the backup size available in /tmp to do the restore.

Is this something that can/should be fixed?  I'm willing to write up a
patch if you can point me in the right direction.

OK, this isn't cool.  I've been restoring for 6 hours now and
duplicity has recreated only 1.3G.  It seems to be stuck while trying
to restore a 14G file.  I can hear my drive grinding, and see log
reports of GPG decrypting data, but I don't see incremental progress
on the 14G file anywhere (please tell me it's not all in virtual
memory!), and I am watching the free space on my drive slowly go to
zero.

> The /tmp directory may seem empty, but check the output of `lsof /tmp`
> while duplicity is running.

I tried 'lsof /tmp/duplicity-ATV1_9-tempdir/' but it didn't produce
much of interest:

bash-3.2# lsof /tmp/duplicity-ATV1_9-tempdir/
COMMAND   PID USER   FD   TYPE DEVICE SIZE/OFF    NODE NAME
bash    55340 root  cwd    DIR   14,2      850 1475866
/private/tmp/duplicity-ATV1_9-tempdir
lsof    55600 root  cwd    DIR   14,2      850 1475866
/private/tmp/duplicity-ATV1_9-tempdir
lsof    55601 root  cwd    DIR   14,2      850 1475866
/private/tmp/duplicity-ATV1_9-tempdir

I've successfully restored all my data (about 12G) before using
duplicity, when it did not include the 14G file.  I suspect it's the
large file that's gumming up the works.  My hard disk is only 150G, so
I don't have much more than 100G to spare for temporary files (and
don't think I should need to).

I need to get my data back ASAP, so I'm going to try a bunch of
restores by hand using --file-to-restore in order to restore as much
as I can while excluding the 14G file.

Has anyone else had problems restoring large files?  Is this a failure
case for duplicity?  I love duplicity and want it to be my rock-solid
backup solution.  I speak Python and am willing to write code to solve
this problem if someone can confirm there is a bug and help me to
understand what's going wrong.

Thanks,
David