Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 connection timeout

From: Peter Schuller
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] S3 connection timeout
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2007 18:45:59 +0100

> Well, I'd sure like to get to the bottom of that.  I am the developer of the
> boto library.  I have used duplicity successfully but I'm not using it on a
> regular basis yet.  However, there are a lot of people who use boto with S3
> and I'm confident that it's working well for them.
>
> I'll try to do some more testing and see if I can find any strange
> interaction between duplicity and boto.

I'm not yet familiar with the protocol. My general feeling is that the
timeout tends to happen after a period of time such that it *may* be
consistent with approximately the entire file having being transfered.

For example I believe the retries happen more frequently on small
duplicity volume sizes than on large ones.

What are the chances that there is some length calculation that is
off-by-a-constant or off-by-a-factor, causing a mismatch between the
actual amount of data sent and the amount of data expected by the s3
server? I would not be surprised if overrunning expectation would be
handled by closing the connection.

--
/ Peter Schuller

PGP userID: 0xE9758B7D or 'Peter Schuller <address@hidden>'