[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity - What's Next?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity - What's Next?
Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 17:36:49 -0500

Folks,

Except for a few issues, duplicity has become a stable package.  There
are always some problems when dealing with multiple systems, but having
a product that works on Linux, Windows, and Mac is a good thing.

Here are the major things I'll be working on in the near future:

1) Fixing the filename issues!  Not sure yet where that's going, but I
plan to keep it simple so that it works on all systems we target.  We'll
drop the --short-filenames and have just one naming convention.

2) Configuration issues, config files, command line, the whole nine
yards.  I can't type 10 chars without a backspace, so long command
options are a problem.  What I want to see is a 'standard' set of config
files, i.e. /etc/duplicity.rc, ~/.duplicity.rc, command line.  Ideally,
one should be able to specify 'duplicity --cfg=main-backup.cfg' and have
everything specified in the .cfg file and the various .rc files.  Normal
precedence would apply, system, local, config, command line, in that
precedence order.  System, local, and config would all be optional.

3) Regression tests - take the time to put together some regression
tests for the new features.  Bit me this time around.

Somewhere in the undefined future:

4) Better handling of errors, fewer tracebacks.  Users do not want to
see a Python traceback.  Tracebacks should occur only if a debug or
other flag is turned on.

5) Better logs.  Python's logging module, especially with the ability to
configure it for file and/or syslog style logging would be a plus.

6) New file format.  I'm thinking that this needs to be addressed if
we're going to play in the major leagues.  Having to decompress/decrypt
several megs/gigs to get to a small critical file to restore is not a
good thing.  It's secure, but at a high price.  There are some other
projects out there with better formats.  What we need is one already
vetted by heavy use, so any suggestions will be considered.

...Ken