Re: [Duplicity-talk] Passphrase confirmation for incremental backups

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Passphrase confirmation for incremental backups
Date: Tue, 25 Sep 2007 09:36:56 -0500

Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> Hi,
> I wonder why duplicity ask for passphrases twice when I run incremental
> backups? I would seem sufficient to ask once (if it decrypts the signature
> files, it's probably correct ;) for *incremental* backups?

It asks for the password twice so that if you do mistype, you have a
chance to correct it before the processing starts.  Once started, the
process can "assume" the correct password is present.  The goal is to
get any user interaction out of the way before the batch processing
starts, letting the user walk away once started.  Ideally, the process
should be run by a cron job and the only interaction would be for the
user to check the successful log files.

You can always put it in the PASSPHRASE environment variable and never
have to type it again, even once.

...Ken