Re: [Duplicity-talk] Volume size and memory use

From: Simon Heimlicher
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Volume size and memory use
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 14:25:57 +0200

Jason F. McBrayer wrote:
Is it the case that the --volsize option has a significant effect on the
memory used by duplicity while backing up?  I suspect it does, but
haven't actually tested formally -- too busy doing actual backups to
instrument it.  If it does, it might be a good thing to mention in the
manual.
This is also my experience and the reason why I cannot use duplicity since our storage server cannot deal with lots of files.

Even with a rather small --volsize of 512MB I could not get a full backup to the server. The maximum seems to be around 128MB, which is too small for me.

Is python limiting its memory footprint somehow? My machine has 3GB of RAM.

Cheers,
Simon