[Duplicity-talk] new ftp backend

From: Thorsten Schnebeck
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] new ftp backend
Date: Wed, 4 Jul 2007 11:10:42 +0200

Hi,

I tried to use the ftplicity/duplicity tool combo to backup my root
server to the ftp-only backup server of my host.

duplicity worked like charm - but only on single branches of my file tree.
Everytime I tried to backup the whole tree I got the strange connections
timeouts and socket errors.

I tried different versions, different patches from different places but I got
no stable backup processing.

When reading about all the problems that seems to be a combination of server,
timing and pythons ftplib *me* wonders that I did not have all these problems
with my old simple backup that use the scriptable ftp-client ncftp.

So, last week I deleted the current ftp-backend and wrote a new one based on
ncftp - and all problems are gone :-)

I can not say my backend is better than the current one, its more a "works for
me" thing and I want to share the code, so it is not lost and can help
others. You need the attached patch (vs. duplicity-0.4.3.RC8) and of course
the ncftp package. I use

net-ftp/ncftp
      Latest version installed: 3.1.9
      Homepage:      http://www.ncftp.com/

I'm not really a python programmer, the code is adapted mainly from the rsync
backend code.

HTH

  Thorsten

P.S. Yes, the delete function is a bit of a hack ;-)