Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Duplicity using more space than needed?

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Re: Duplicity using more space than needed?
Date: Fri, 29 Jun 2007 07:03:49 -0500

Thanks for the testcase. I'm going to add it to the tests in the repository, once I get this fixed.

Both duplicity and rdiff use librsync for deltas, so the problem has to be in that we handle the parameters or the calls differently than rdiff.

...Ken

Fabiano Bonin wrote:
Look at this test case. I think it reproduces the problem.

First, run the script 'testcase_script.sh' attached to this message.
It will create the following files in /var/tmp/testcase:

snapshot1 (48MB)
snapshot2 (48MB)
snapshot1.sig (287KB)
snapshot2.delta (20MB)

Comment: for each block of 5000 bytes of snapshot1, i changed the last
25 bytes in snapshot2. All bytes where generated randomly.

snapshot2.delta is the uncompressed rdiff delta file between snapshot1
and snapshot2.

Then, run the following commands:

==============================
export PASSPHRASE=testcase

rm /var/tmp/testcase_source/* -rf
rm /var/tmp/testcase_destination/* -rf

cp snapshot1 /var/tmp/testcase_source/snapshot

duplicity /var/tmp/testcase_source file:///var/tmp/testcase_destination

du --max-depth 1 -h /var/tmp/testcase_destination
rm -f /var/tmp/testcase_source/snapshot

cp snapshot2 /var/tmp/testcase_source/snapshot

duplicity /var/tmp/testcase_source file:///var/tmp/testcase_destination

du --max-depth 1 -h /var/tmp/testcase_destination

Here, in the second pass, the destination size change is 47.9MB. The
last 'du' command will show the folder /var/tmp/testcase_destination
with 97MB.

Regards,

Fabiano.