Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deleting large files from archive?

From: Gabriel Ambuehl
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] Deleting large files from archive?
Date: Mon, 28 May 2007 20:52:20 +0200

On Monday 28 May 2007 20:26:55 David Schneider-Joseph wrote:

> Presumably this is technically feasible, as the --remove-older-than
> option manages to selectively delete only those files that are no
> longer referenced, but it seems that duplicity does not currently
> support this.  How would I go about doing this with the underlying
> rdiff tools?

Technically it seems feasible to delete all tar chunks that contain ONLY THAT
ONE file. So for a big file, this might work. However, you would have to
somehow make clear to the restore process that the left over chunks in the
first and last tar chunks (which almost always will be shared with other
files and thus cant be removed) are to be discarded for it not to get
confused.

As for implementation, I don't know enough about rdiff to comment on that.