Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity "better tar"

From: Kenneth Loafman
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity "better tar"
Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 12:37:27 -0500

Douglas Campos wrote:

Kenneth Loafman escreveu:
Douglas Campos wrote:
Hi! Does anyone has some news/stats about this new format? (as
described on the main page).
It has not been implemented or evaluated, to my knowledge.

It will be a while before I can get around to even thinking about
new formats.  Even then, the tradeoff will be whether to go with
our own format, or not.  Why do it when we have stable, well
tested, formats already in place with plenty of well known tools to
deal with them?

Plus, there are advantages to building on top of a stable platform
versus building ones tools on ones own platform.  Perhaps when we
get this level robust, we can tackle the layer underneath.

...Ken

Sure, but the improvements proposed would be fantastic!

Agreed, but I think that we would want it to be a separate project from duplicity itself that would involve related backup projects. That way we could leverage more help. There's another project that already uses something close to the proposed format. When I find the message again, I'll post it.

Is possible to extend tar to support at least metadata?

Possibly, but its probably time for tar to be retired. It's at least 30 years old and probably has enough warts from backward compatibility to supply a whole gaggle of witches. ;-)

...Ken