Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity fails to do incremental backups on Ubuntu

From: Travis H.
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] duplicity fails to do incremental backups on Ubuntu Feisty
Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:54:10 -0600

On Wed, Feb 28, 2007 at 11:18:50AM +0100, Gabriel Ambuehl wrote:
> >   -) should work more stable so signatures are found and broken pipe
> > errors are gone
>
> This is by far the most important one in my view. If discarding of perfectly
> valid signatures is fixed, other backends should be easy enough to add. A
> backup tool that claims to do incremental backups but then randomly fails to
> do so for some unknown reason is not very useful :(

Can someone provide more information about this particular error?

I'll need to look into this a bit more, but I don't see how it could be very
difficult... perhaps there is some kind of race condition involved.

> BTW: you can have WebDAV right now if you use Linux:
> http://dav.sourceforge.net/

Hmm... that's interesting.  I still think HTTP is too baroque and
complicated for a remote file system protocol (URI encoding anyone?),
and TCP setup and teardown takes too much time for this to ever be
fast (I can imagine some pipelining of requests perhaps like HTTP
1.1), but I can see how it'd be useful in that HTTP servers are
becoming the "everything server".
--
Good code works.  Great code can't fail. -><-
<URL:http://www.subspacefield.org/~travis/>