Re: [Duplicity-talk] A couple easy questions

From: mike
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] A couple easy questions
Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 20:56:16 -0800

Thanks, the bad thing is this is the only place I know of where to ask
these questions :)

On 1/1/07, Travis H. <address@hidden> wrote:
A word to the wise; this list is not very active, so you may have
to wait a while before being answered.

I don't actually use duplicity (yet), but I can answer a few things.

If it used bzip2, you could set BZIP envar and specify -9.

it says nothing about bzip, it says under --no-encryption that it will
"only output gzipped volumes" - so i assume they do gzip+gpg normally.

I think gzip should really have something like it.  If you feel like
emailing them with that suggestion, have at it.  Or just patch your
duplicity to use bzip2; it gives better compression anyway.

it would be nice. too bad i don't know python at all.

I think this is handled adequately with rsync, but not sure.
If rsync can detect silent (hardware-level) corruption, then
this isn't a problem.  If it only checks mtime/ctime, you're
right.

well i assume it works like rsync -c, using a checksum, not just
mtime/ctime/etc. i assume if the data is corrupted, it would change,
so it would create a "change" in the checksum. otherwise, how would
the file corruption affect anything to begin with...

i also had a question about archive size, if there is a way to limit
the file size, since services like S3 have a 5G single file size
maximum, it probably wouldn't be good to make archives that large
either. that would be an option i would love to see added.