[Duplicity-talk] Duplicity, scp, fc5, backend exception problem

From: Bill Wraith
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Duplicity, scp, fc5, backend exception problem
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 2006 10:28:31 -0500

Hello,

I have used duplicity flawlessly for about 15GB of offsite backup. Recently,
I upgraded to fc5 from fc4 on machines that have been running duplicity
without problems. Now, I am getting a lot of errors that basically make the
larger directories in my backups always fail. The errors vary somewhat, but
the basic theme is a backend exception failure which appears to be the
os.system call to scp a file from the repository to local or from local to
repository.

I first discovered the issue when going out to a remote server over a T1
line, as I have typically done before. Even this internet connection has
been flawless in the past for use w/duplicity. However, I then tried backing
up to a server on my LAN, which is 100Mbps and still have frequent backend
exception errors with scp commands moving a repository file to or from local
tmp file.

Smaller directories succeed, but eventually on larger ones, the backup fails
with the backend exception error listing an scp command. I can run the scp
command listed in the backend exception manually from the bash shell without
any trouble.

In verify mode, the scp also fails.

Any advice on how to resolve this problem or anyone familiar with problems
using duplicity on fc5?

Thanks, Bill Wraith