[Duplicity-talk] Re: help with --include and --exclude

From: Brian King
Subject: [Duplicity-talk] Re: help with --include and --exclude
Date: Sun, 29 Oct 2006 13:17:28 +0100

Well, I've figured out what the problem was.  As noted elsewhere,
duplicity will not backup top-level symbolic links
(https://savannah.nongnu.org/bugs/index.php?8789).

On freebsd, /home is a symlink for /usr/home.  so I needed to change
the command to be:

root# duplicity  --include '/usr/home/*/bin' --include
'/usr/home/backup'  --include '/usr/home/bk/projects'  --include
'/usr/home/*/.mozilla/firefox/*/bookmarks.html' --include
'/usr/local/etc' --exclude '**' / file:///tmp/testbackup

and it worked fine.

It would be better imho if duplicity echoed a warning to stdout when
top-level symbolic links are being ignored.  Even when running
duplicity with "--verbosity 9", there was no indication that these
symlinked /home/* directories were being ignored.  It was not
immediately obvious what the problem was, and it took me quite a while
to figure it out.

Brian