Re: [Duplicity-talk] resuming initial full backup?

From: Seren Thompson
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] resuming initial full backup?
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 14:01:18 -0600

I would get a copy of your data onto the backup server or a machine with a better connection, and do the initial backup from there. Afterwards you'll need to include the "--allow-source-mismatch" flag in your backup jobs, but that's never been a problem for me.

This assumes you have a machine with a better connection to your backup server, or that you can trust the backup server with your unencrypted data temporarily and that it has enough space for both the data and the backup.

If you're having connection or bandwidth issues, you can also use the the "-archive-dir" flag which saves you from having to download the sigtar files every time you run a backup. This flag:
 a) keeps the sigtars gzipped locally instead of encrpted remotely
b) keeps copies of the manifests locally (unencrypted) as well as remotely (encrypted).

You can convert an existing duplicity backup into an "-archive-dir" compatible backup by downloading and decrypting the sigtars and manifests and then gzipping the sigtars. You'll then need to delete or move the remote sigtars from the remote backup directory.

The main disadvantage of this method is that you can only do a full restore if you lose the sigtars (ie. hard-drive failure). Of course you could always export or backup them up as well. :)

 -seren (duplicity at seren dotnet)

ps. Here's the duplicity directory structure:

-----------------------------------
Normal directory structure:
-----------------------------------
Local system root

 +-Orginal Directory

Remote system root

 +-Remote Backup Directory

   +-"*.manifest.gpg"
   +-"*.sigtar.gpg"
   +-"*.difftar.gpg

-----------------------------------
Using the --archive-dir flag:
-----------------------------------
Local system root

 +-Orginal Directory

 +-Archive-dir Directory

   +-"*.manifest"
   +-"*.sigtar.gz"

Remote system root

 +-Remote Backup Directory

   +-"*.manifest.gpg"
   +-"*.difftar.gpg"

Daniel M. Drucker wrote:
Hi,

I'm interested in using Duplicity, but I'm running across an initial big hurdle - I can't complete my first backup (using the scp backend), because at over 200GB over a slow (2MB/sec) connection it's guaranteed to fail a few times.

Any suggestions as to how to get around this?

Daniel Drucker