Re: [Duplicity-talk] BackupChain instance has no attribute 'archive_dir'

From: Ben Escoto
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] BackupChain instance has no attribute 'archive_dir'
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 22:28:28 -0600

> Hi,
>
> I have daily incremental and monthly full backups started by cron:
>
> @daily         $HOME/backup/duplicity.sh
> @monthly       $HOME/backup/duplicity.sh full
>
> Probably the problem is that cron starts the two processes in
> parallel and since they backup to the same directory they overwrite
> each other's files.

Yes, this must be the problem.  Even if the two sessions did not
overwrite each other, duplicity would get confused when both were
written.  (duplicity expects to see a number of backup chains, not
backup trees.)

> I'll fix my cron setup, but maybe duplicity should employ some
> locking mechanism to prevent this from happening.

Yes, that's a good idea, there's something that could be done there.
(Although traditional locking might not work because of the way the
various backends work.)

--
Ben Escoto