Re: [Duplicity-talk] remove-older-than

From: William Anderson
Subject: Re: [Duplicity-talk] remove-older-than
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2005 10:59:55 +0100

Steve Crook wrote:
> According to the duplicity manpage:
>
>  --remove-older-than time
>    Delete all backup sets older than the given time.  If old backup
>    sets  will  not be deleted if backup sets newer than time depend
>    on them.  See the TIME FORMATS section for more information.
>
> My backup configuration performs an incremental backup each day and then
> a full one each week.  Because of the full one, I wouldn't expect newer
> backup sets to depend on anything older than a week. This expectation
> seems to be false as the size of my backup filesystem still increases
> over time until I forcefully delete the content and invoke a manual full
> backup.
>
> Can anyone suggest a backup strategy that will not incur this manual
> intervention every few weeks?

Are you using --remove-older-than on the same command line as your
backup?  I found that you have to run this standalone separate from your
backup job, i.e.

duplicity --full --exclude=[blah] / scp://[blah]
duplicity --remove-older-than 8D --force scp://[blah]

--
William Anderson, GPG 0xB29CF5E7
Lumison

If you have received this email in error please notify the sender. Any
offers or quotation of service are subject to formal specification.
Errors and omissions excepted.  Please note that any views or opinions
necessarily represent those of Lumison, nplusone or lightershade ltd.
presence of viruses.  Lumison, nplusone and lightershade ltd accepts no

Virus scanned by Lumison.