dtas-all

Re: Output the filename of the current playing song

From: Eric Wong
Subject: Re: Output the filename of the current playing song
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 11:34:08 +0000

Rene Maurer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I am really very happy using dtas. There are some minor things I miss.
> One thing is a shortcut to get the filename of the current playing song.
> For example something like this:
>
> # COMMANDS
>
> * current song [FILENAME] - output the filename of the current playing
>   song or the song at the top if the queue in case the player is
>   paused. If FILENAME is specified, the output is written to that file.

Great to know you're still using it!

You can use "dtas-ctl current" and parse the YAML output.
Perhaps something along the lines of:

        #!/usr/bin/env ruby
        require 'yaml'
        x = YAML.load `dtas-ctl current`
        if cur = x['current']
          puts cur['infile']
        elsif x['paused']
          x = YAML.load `dtas-ctl queue cat`
          puts Array(x[0])[0]
        end

Fwiw, I never intended the current player protocol to be used
much; but was planning on writing an MPRIS proxy to talk to
dtas-player and encourage users to use existing MPRIS clients
instead...

However, MPRIS seems to be a dead-end for text-only clients;
while mpd has a strong following.   So I'll probably start work
on an mpd protocol proxy over holidays, so we'll have a lot more
clients able to use the playback features dtas-player.

Of course, the editing/effects features of dtas will only be
available via the dtas-player protocol, but the MPD-compatible
library will be able to play YAML files intended for
dtas-splitfx (or anything dtas-player understands).