dtas-all

Re: Adding fade effect

From: Eric Wong
Subject: Re: Adding fade effect
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2015 22:01:16 +0000

Rene Maurer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hello
>
> I have two questions concerning sinks:
>
> 1.
> What is the recommended way to add a fade effect like
>
> # play song.flac fade 0 15 5"
>
> to a sink?

Sinks have no concept of which song is playing, however you can
edit the source instead using "dtas-sourceedit sox".  Change
(or add) the following line starting with "command:"

command: exec sox "$INFILE" $SOXFMT - $TRIMFX fade 0 =0 5

I think the above fade example requires sox 14.4.x and later,
if you're using an older version you'll probably need to calculate
the "=0" offset based on the length of the track itself, but
also need to take into account the offset set by the $TRIMFX
variable (if you're seeking)

> 2.
> When I change for example the default sink with "dtas-sinkedit default"
> and I then store the edited sink. Is the changed sink directly applied
> or is a dtas-player restart required?

It should be applied immediately upon exiting your editor.  You'll
probably hear an audible gap if you're using ALSA directly as your
device gets restarted.

Again, I recommend editing the source instead of the sink as it won't
restart the device and for most effects, there won't be an audible gap.

I think dtas-sourceedit will get inotify support in the next release.
It'll allow you to hear changes with every save of the $EDITOR and not
have to restart dtas-sourcedit on every change (similar to how the
splitfx YAML file editing works in dtas.git)