dtas-all

Re: fade out current playing song

From: Eric Wong
Subject: Re: fade out current playing song
Date: Thu, 17 Oct 2013 06:22:34 +0000

Rene Maurer <address@hidden> wrote:
> Eric Wong <address@hidden> wrote:
> > Rene Maurer <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to send a command to the dtas-player in the way that
> >> the current song is faded out and the next song in the queue (if
> >> any) is played ("fade-out-now-and-skip")?
> >
> > Not yet (or easily).  I haven't thought about it, I understand it's a
> > somewhat popular feature in other players?
>
> I only tried some players and never seen this feature.... It's not a
> strong recommendation for me (but it would be really useful for me).

I know MPD supports it, but I've never used nor looked closely at that
particular feature.

> > I think it's easiest to use the queue internally with trim commands.
> > Internally, it could do something like the following (totally
> > untested):
>
> <snip>
>
> Yes I understand (maybe I can try it out this weekend).

Btw, there's also crossfade.sh and crossfade_cat.sh in the "scripts"
directory of the sox source[1]

> > I envision the internal queue of dtas-player as something suitable for
> > production/testing/internals and the tracklist functionality being
> > more suitable for traditional music player duties.
>
> Thanks for clarification.

No problem!  I'm still finding my way around things, too.

I wasn't sure if I wanted a tracklist as part of the player itself or a
separate daemon (or part of the upcoming MPRIS bridge).  Eventually I
decided it would be simpler to just implement in the player, even though
it was completely queue-based at that point.

[1] git clone git://git.code.sf.net/p/sox/code sox