drm-elimination-crew

[Drm-elimination-crew] Improvements to this proposed DRM FAQ entry?

From: Zak Rogoff
Subject: [Drm-elimination-crew] Improvements to this proposed DRM FAQ entry?
Date: Tue, 24 May 2016 16:26:53 -0400

It's editable in the LibrePlanet wiki at the bottom of

https://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Defective_by_Design/Frequently_Asked_Questions

It currently reads:

"But shouldn't people who create and art and programs be able to get
compensation for their work?

Yes, we feel that it's very important for there to be a way to make
money making things, and we recognize that sometimes developing new
business models that don't use DRM is challenging. It's also worth
nothing, however, that in most cases DRM is really not about protecting
authors, but rather about protecting the market positions of distributors.

There is a flourishing community of DRM-free businesses that
successfully compete in some markets with those that do use DRM. In
fact, part of the mission of Defective by Design is connect those
businesses with likeminded customers through our Guide to DRM-free Living."

I think it would benefit from one or more of:
* A way to address the counter-argument that the it is in the interest
of the creators for the distributor for to maintain it's market position
(which is one you hear a lot)
* A better explanation of alternative business models we propose.

We can also consider somehow combining this with
https://www.defectivebydesign.org/faq#copyright

--
Zak Rogoff // Campaigns Manager
Free Software Foundation