drm-elimination-crew

[Drm-elimination-crew] Get your friends together for the Day Against DRM

From: Zak Rogoff
Subject: [Drm-elimination-crew] Get your friends together for the Day Against DRM
Date: Wed, 16 Apr 2014 17:58:41 -0400

Hey DRM Elimination Crew,

Day Against DRM is a time of year set aside for our community to come
together and focus on what Defective By Design is all about: helping
build a world without Digital Restrictions Management. **This year the
Day is Tuesday, May 6th, in just 2.5 weeks.** Here's the recap post from
last year if you'd like to know more about the Day Against DRM:
https://www.defectivebydesign.org/2013-day-against-drm

There will be more coming soon about the Day on the Defective By Design
general list, including call to action on the Day itself, sharable media
and promotions on DRM-free ebooks. For now, we need your help to help
make the day a success, by planning social events to help spread the
word about DRM and give our community a place to come together.

Here are some ideas for events (more to come later, and please reply to
this email if you have any other good ones):

* DRM-free music/movies/games party. Challenge yourself to make it so
that none of the media at the event has DRM. If possible, host a concert
by a band that releases DRM-free music. You can refer to our Guide to
DRM-free living at https://www.defectivebydesign.org/guide
* Hold signs or hand out copies of DRM-free media and flyers about the
issues with DRM (FOSS Bangladesh did this in 2013). You can refer to our
DRM FAQ at http://www.defectivebydesign.org/faq
* Host a house party/discussion group
* Protest a local store that sells DRM-encumbered products (community
members did this in Seattle in 2013)
* Write a letter to the editor of a publication
* Speak to a local group or get on a radio/TV show

If you'd like to host an event in your area or online, please add it to
the Day Against DRM page on the LibrePlanet wiki at
http://libreplanet.org/wiki/Group:Defective_by_Design/Day_Against_DRM_2014
. The Defective by Design campaign would be glad to help you promote it
to people around you (see instructions on the page), or you can keep it
to just you and your friends if you prefer.

Want to bounce ideas for events off someone, or need help organizing an
event? Reply to this email and start a conversation on the list.

Looking forward to the Day Against DRM!

--
Zak Rogoff

Campaigns Manager