Re: [DotGNU]Calling C

From: Chris Smith
Subject: Re: [DotGNU]Calling C
Date: Wed, 7 May 2003 17:42:08 +0100

On Tuesday 29 Apr 2003 19:45, Gopal V wrote:
> If memory serves me right, Chris Smith wrote:
> > So what is the most appropriate mechanism for doing this with pnet
> > PInvoke or that internalCall technique Gopal was talking about?
> > I'm concerned with cross-platform-ness here (assuming gpgme is cross
> > platform too).
>
> Pinvoke == invoking off shared objects
> internalCall == linking the gpgme into the engine itself
>
> You might be better off with Pinvoke as it a more general method ...
> ie you can call the same functions for all VMs from the same .so .
>
> internal call would be used if & only if you have to do something
> which needs to be bound to the engine ... So for example , security
> checks would be better as internal calls than PInvoke .. Also icalls
> can throw exceptions etc , while Pinvoke relies totally on return
> values for detecting errors (IIRC).

Well, I'd like the goldwater API to be available from within the pnet VM in
the DGEE but nowhere else.  Internalcall seems to lend itself to this.

However, if the webservice requiring access to the goldwater api was written
in python then it would be using a SWIG'd mechanism.

So I might be better off SWIGing everything I need up front.
Food for thought.